Tuesday 11 October 2011

My take on Guest Posting~ A Lesson Learned

I've always been in favour to do guest posting on other's site in bid to increase the visibility of my site - Dominique's Desk.  A few months ago I jumped at the opportunity to do a guest post on a fellow high ranking parenting site.
In my haste to get the post settled and handed up on time I neglect to find out in detail the exact details as in when the post would go live and how my bio would be shown in the post.

I did e-mail the blog's administrator and asked her when she will be posting my post but she never did get back to me. A few month's later after I revisited her site looking for the guest posts I was surprised to see that the post went live a few days after I submitted it to her but there was no indication or byline to state that I was the guest blogger and a link back to my site.

Initially I was rather annoyed as it seems like she was "ripping me off" as she seems to be posting the article that I wrote as hers and no indication that it is a guest post besides being filed under the category guest post.

If it was a sponsored guest post then having a byline wouldn't be an issue as she would have then paid to use it but the fact that it wasn't.

It's not the first time that I have guest post for other sites and on all occasions prior to this I had my bio and a link back to my site stated on the article.

I sincerely hope that  it was an oversight on the site's owner's part and not a deliberate attempt to not give me my due credit.

Looking back at this episode. I learned that I should have done the following

  1. Clarify with her exactly when the post will go live and how it would be published together with credits for me before actually submitting the post to her.
  2. Find out about if it is necessary for me to answer the commenter's who post comments to that article. ( I did answer some of the questions asked in the comments section.
  3. Drop direct links to my site within the article and not  just rely on putting the link to my site in the author's bio box. 
  4. Write a post on my site to go live on the same day that the guest post is published to state that I'm over at that site with my post today and link to it..
Well... now I know better. 

6 comments:

Colette S said...

I hope it was an oversight too, but we learn right.

Thank you for sharing.

Dominique Goh said...

@JamericianSpice,
It was an oversight but that blog owner seems to be rather nasty as I am still ding/dong e-mailing her to include the bio..anway have decided not to guest post on her site again as it's not worth the hassle.

SquirrelQueen said...

If it was an oversight the blog owner should have made it right. Glad you have decided not to guest post with her again. Next time I would suggest looking at other guests posts on the blog to see how they were presented.

Thanks for stopping by today and for your nice comment.

Dominique Goh said...

@SquirrelQueen,
I'm much smarter now when it comes to guest posting.. thanks for dropping a comment.

Dominique Goh said...

@SquirrelQueen,
I'm much smarter now when it comes to guest posting.. thanks for dropping a comment.

SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Oh, my goodness, that's not fair to you! Lesson learned. Btw, thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.

Post a Comment